Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Packing, the part of traveling nobody likes

Unlike planning your trip, packing is just NOT the funnest thing to do. However, packing can make your life easier during your trip, or not. What do I know about packing? I kind of do it for a living, so I may know a thing or two. I personally hate checking a bag at the ticket counter when using any airline. Bags tend to get damaged or even lost. Nobody has time for that!

What works for me? Inside my carry on suitcase (you do need to check what the allowed size for your airline is, as they vary) I have a few different size cosmetic bags. This works because it compartmentalizes everything for you, even if your bag is not already designed for that. I got my leisure carry on at TJMaxx and absolutely love it!

With carry on items, however, you want to ensure you use the least amount of liquids as you will be limited to 3 oz. containers. Also, everything should fit into the one litter bag they provide you with (certain airports give you a specific bag, others let you bring your own.)

On the biggest cosmetic bag, I keep all my toiletries and things I use daily.
-Toothbrush
-Razor
-Soap (Yes, you may skip this if you don't mind using the hotel's soap. I don't like them because they usually dry out my skin)
-Shampoo bar (I get mine at Lush or Basin. The bar is better because it doesn't count towards your liquid allowance. Basin also has the conditioner bar- BONUS!)
-You may choose to use cleansing cloths vs cleansers (again, your liquids will be restricted)
-Deodorant

The mid-size cosmetic bag actually holds cosmetics, obviously guys may skip this part (lucky you).
NOTE: Do NOT carry all of your cosmetics!!!! (essentials)
-Concealer
-Blush (Pick either your favorite color or a bronzer)
-Powder (I use powder foundation for better coverage)
-Eyeliner
-Mascara
Seriously, don't waste your time doing your face when you should be out and about!

Inside that clear plastic bag for "liquids"
-Moisturizer
-small sun block
-travel size toothpaste
-Lip gloss (just take your favorite, that's enough)
-Perfume testers

When you are packing, it is important that you know what the weather will be like, so that you may pack accordingly. If packing for a warmer destination, I absolutely love thin fabric; it allows you to bring extras!!! Another thing I learned is to pack dresses. One piece equals one outfit! Done! (You don't have to worry about repeating an outfit, or matching the top with the bottom).
I get it, not everyone cares for dresses. If you must pack pants, jeans will take the MOST space. Jeans are also going to take longer to dry if you spill something on you and have to wash it by hand; yes, things happen. If you must, pack only ONE pair. You can match this one pair to 3 different tops. I personally prefer the softer fabric pants because they take up less space and they are not as hot either (NY & Co and WHBM have amazing trousers and crops). The way you pack will also be determined on the type of activities you will be conducting when away. If you have planned a lot of outside activities, such as zip lining, horseback riding, etc... workout clothes works best. However, make sure you don't take your see through ones; it's not cute!
Don't forget to pack your bathing suit or a bag to put your dirty laundry in!

Colder destinations are my least favorite. LAYERS, anyone??? I get cold really easy, so I like to be prepared.
-I always bring tank tops-they take up less space and they are my base layer.
-A basic long sleeve (Old Navy usually has them for cheap)
-Pashimina scarf. I have a couple multi-colored ones because ONE will do. These are packed very small but they are nice and warm (these things are my favorite!!!)
-Jacket or sweater (North Face is my favorite and warmest, but you can bring your favorite leather jacket instead)
-Don't forget to bring gloves!!!
-I always use tights under my jeans. Yes, you want to bring your jeans to a cold destination.

Bottomline is, you can never be too prepared. However, don't let a little thing like forgetting something get on your way of having an amazing time. Take your trip as what it is, an adventure. At times, hotels will be able to provide you what you need; otherwise, did anyone say shopping!?


No comments:

Post a Comment